Friday, February 17, 2006

Disappointing Conversation


On a recent airplane flight I was talking to a lady who was making her very first trip to Utah. People had scared her with the crazy liquor laws we have here and also with the fact that there is only one Starbuck’s coffee shop. She simply couldn’t get over that, “Only one Starbucks!” I didn’t bother to tell her it was brand new either. Before Starbucks all coffee connoisseurs had to go to the Nordstrom food court (also somewhat new) or to the very scary Juice n’ Java on 100 South. That place is a circus freak show. Anyway, back to the disappointing part of the conversation.

Me: So, where are you staying?
Seattle-ite: At the Residence Inn
Me: That’s nice. Would you like any restaurant recommendations?
Seattle-ite: No, I found an Olive Garden. That should do it.
Me: Oh, um, yea, that should be fine.

But it’s not fine! I realize Utah valley is not known for its culinary cuisine but there are a handful of great restaurants. I was all ready to recommend Bombay House, Chef’s Table, CafĂ© Rio, and Chinatown Restaurant. Instead I disappointingly added, “Yea, all the chain restaurants are along University Parkway. You shouldn’t have any problems finding a restaurant. (Notice I didn’t say finding a good restaurant.)

1 comment:

Carolyn said...

having just returned from Florida and Georgia, I can sympathize with this woman's plight. Sometimes all the different restaurant choices are a little scary and one longs for the familiar chain restaurant.

With that said, however, I must say this was not my dilemma on this trip. I've never had such good seafood in my life. Granted, we ate at Cracker Barrel and that is a huge chain restaurant, but surely the cooks are better in the South at such chains, eh?

And then the rapture of Uncle Bubba's Oyster House. Cynthia, I want yuour permission to create a guest blog on this site simply about the experience at Bubba's and one Paula Deen. Please!?