Monday, March 20, 2006

Hummus


What is it about hummus that I like so much? Is it my Mexican roots coming out that make me crave anything similar to refried beans? After all, hummus is like a healthy version of frijoles refritos. Instead of bacon fat and pinto beans you use olive oil and garbanzo beans. Obviously this isn't completely authentic because I never seem to have tahini on hand. (Sesame butter.) My two little girls didn't care. Between the three of us we almost ate this entire batch with corn chips for lunch. Yes, pita chips would be authentic, but let's face it. Whatever chip you use is merely a vehicle to get the hummus into your face. After a while Hallie (my 2 yr. old) grabbed her baby spoon and just ate it as is. I know that using roasted garlic would remove a bit of the raw garlic taste so if you have the time to roast your garlic, be my guest. Mark Bitman, author of How to Cook Everything adds cumin to his recipe. I like that touch.

Hummus
1 can (15oz) drained garbanzo beans
1 small cloves of garlic
1 tsp. honey
1-2 tsp. cumin
juice of 1 lemon
salt and pepper
about 1/4 cup extra-virgi olive oil

Place all ingredients in food processor (except oil) and pulse until smooth. With the motor running, drizzle in the olive oil until hummus is the consistency of a smooth dip.

No comments: